Sunday, June 10, 2012

Kegerator Time

I have finally upgraded my bar to include a four-tap kegerator system!  I figured I'd chronical my construction and hook-up of the process for posterity.  I'll admit I had a carpenter actually construct the wooden frame/collar that went on the top of the chest freezer, as well as the faceplate on the bar side, so I'm not spending much time talking details on those.

1) The faceplate on the bar side is the beautiful face of the tap system.  I got the idea from my friend Kent, who created a similar style of tap directly from his wall.  Beer...from the wall!!


2) The back section of this plate goes through the drywall and has a bracing back plate.  The tap shanks come through both plates and are tightened up with a nut.

3) Next we pull out the temp control gauge.  This lets you control the temp of the chest freezer to keep it warmer than a typical freezer should run.  I don't really want to serve beer flavored slushies.  This plugs into the wall, and the freezer is plugged into it.

4) The temp probe goes into the freezer through a small hole drilled in the wooden collar around the top.  When the temp gets colder than the set point on the controller, it breaks the circuit and the freezer shuts off until the temp warms up enough to warrant another chilling cycle.  I have connected the controller to the side of the freezer with velcro for easy movement.

5) Next we put some kegs in to see what type of room we have.  I have 3 full sized soda kegs and one shorty sitting on the ledge.  This leaves room for the CO2 inside the freezer, though some folks like to keep that outside the freezer for easier tinkering.

6) CO2 tank is hooked up with a gas line to connect to the gas manifold.

7) The tank fits nicely in between the kegs.

8) Gas lines come next.  I have installed a manifold with four outputs.  You can also see that there is a layer of insulation along the collar.  Many internet sources say you don't need this, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to keep temps correct.  It was a big pain to connect all the end pieces to the lines, but looks great when it is finished.  Top the gas line with the grey gas keg posts.  I did all my pieces with the unscrewable ends for easier upkeep.

9) Liquid lines to the wall shanks.  These connect with a nipple, washer and nut.

10) Next we go through the holes drilled into the wooden collar.

11) Put all the end pieces onto the liquid hoses and connect the black liquid keg posts.  Pretty much done now!

12) Finishing touches!  Tap handles and you are good to go.  Now I just need to fill some of these empty kegs to have four more beers on tap.

1 comment:

Brady said...

man the basement bar just keeps getting more bad ass. Looks great man!